Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday WI and August Activity Calendar and Triathlon Recap

My weigh-in today went way better than expected! I am only up 0.4lbs to 168.8lbs. I was thinking it would be more like a 1 or 2lb gain, so I was happy when I saw I was still in the 168's! I think what is really helping me is that I am eating 3 meals a day and not binging on just 2 main meals a day. I try to keep myself satisfied food wise all day so I don't get home and want to eat everything in sight.

August activity went ok. I should have had more swimming days as my tri was on the 28th and I really only got in 3 swims in August, all of which were in a pool. My runs went pretty well. I got up to almost 10 miles and will be doing 12 tomorrow! Crazy! I cannot believe we are so close to half-marathon mileage already, but I suppose it is "marathon training" season. Here is my calendar;

More about my tri...this might be a little long...but it's worth a read, I think :D

The triathlon was in Rancho Seco on August 28th at 9am. It was a super-sprint which meant a 400 yard swim, 8 mile bike and 2 mile run. I was feeling really confident about the bike and run, but not the swim. I found out as I got in the water and began my journey that my fears were well founded. About 25 meters or so into the swim I was struggling. Swimming in open water is worlds away from swimming in a pool! Now I know what I need to do if I ever try this again! Anyway, luckily the course was staffed with a rescue kayaker every 50 meters or so! I stopped at every single kayak to hold on and take a rest. I just kept telling myself that if I could make it to the next kayaker and the next and the next then I would be closer and closer to being done! The swim was the single hardest thing I have ever done in my life! Not even my first half-marathon was even close in difficulty level; mentally and physically. As I got out of the water (finally! after being lapped by people from waves after me) I searched for Matt in the crowd so I could get my glasses from him. The pictures of me after the swim are scary. I looked so dazed and confused and generally unhappy and uncomfortable; but I made it!

I was so happy to be out of the water, but it took me a minute to get my land legs and start jogging my way to my bike in the transition area. I quickly put on my bike shorts and jersey over my swimsuit and put on socks and shoes. The last thing I put on was my helmet; no gloves, I wanted to save a few seconds of time. In retrospect, I wish I had spent the time. The ride was great for the 1st half. I was feeling confident and was even passing a few riders! But then there was the turnaround...the whole way back to the transition area there was a headwind and the last 1 1/2 miles was uphill. Uphill and against the wind for 1 1/2 miles. It was torture. There was a time I had to switch to 1st gear! But again, I made it! But not before I crashed! Remember what I said about saving time on gloves and in retrospect I wish I had put them on? Here's where that comes in. I was getting close to the transition area and saw the signs that said to slow down, which I did. I started to dismount my bike in a way I had never done before, but I was feeling awesome and invincible and I was so close to the end! I was almost off my bike ready to run it in to the transition when I pressed the front brake on my bike. Bad idea. Bike stopped fast, I kept going, bike flipped up in the air and landed on me as I hit pavement, hard. I got up quick, my family was watching the whole thing and I can hear them gasping and OMGing. I stood up and my bike handlebars wouldn't turn the right way. I was so scared my bike was broken that I didn't even pause to assess my wounds! I gave my bike to my husband Matt and ran toward the transition to get ready for the run. I was bleeding and bruised but I was too far in to stop now. Multiple race volunteers asked me if I was ok and I said I was. I only started freaking out once I wondered if not putting my bike back on the rack in the transition area would disqualify me, which Matt reassured me wouldn't. That was enough for me, so blood and all I took off on my 2 mile run.

The run was pretty uneventful, other than the throbbing pain of my open wounds! The course was hilly and dusty and I spent the 1st half mile or so catching my breath and trying to get into a rhythm. I kept leap frogging with an older gentleman and a couple older ladies. I kept talking myself into running just to the next hill, or to the cone, or to the bottom of the hill. It was such a mental game! The clincher was when I saw a woman in front of me with a 29 written on her leg, which was her age. If I could pass her I would not be last in my age group! That was enough motivation for me! I ran the rest of the way in. I paced with the older gentleman I mentioned before and even chatted with him to keep my mind off of my pain and the fact that I really wanted to walk, or die. Either way. I kept pace with him for about 1/2 mile and as we got back to the grassy area where we were just seconds from the finish line I saw Matt. He told me that I was 1 minute from finishing in my goal time of 1:30! Once I heard him say that I took off! The last 100 yards or so of the run I was probably doing a 7 minute mile! I saw the finish line and the clock and I knew I could do it! I was so happy to be done! I was a triathlete! My mom and Aunt Jayna and Matt came over and insisted I go to first aid. I said no at first, but then I assessed my wounds and decided it was a good idea.

The first aid lady was really nice and cleaned out my eewy wounds. It stung bad, but I was happy to be sitting in a comfy chair being taken care of. I was smiling the whole time!

I was thankful to have so many supporters there to cheer me on! Matt, my mom and dad, my aunt and uncle, aunt jayna and matt's grandparents all came out in the freezing cold weather to support me! I felt super special and loved! I even found out my mom cried during the swim because she was afraid for me. :C But she also cried at the finish because she was so proud of me! :D

I can now say that I am a triathlete! Yes it was a super-sprint, but it was still a triathlon and an extreme challenge for me! Will I ever do it again? Maybe. I definitely need to work on my swimming if I expect to do better on that part. And of course, not falling off my bike would be great! My hands and knee are still healing (the worst wounds), the bruise on my thigh is huge and purple and yellow, and my elbow is almost all healed. Bodies are amazing! Oh, and to top it all off, I found out the next day that the wind moved a buoy for the swim about 100 yards, which made my 400 yard swim a 500 yard swim. Not that 100 yards made a huge difference to me as I was struggling after 25 meters, but it is even more of a reason for me to feel accomplished!

Tomorrow is SacFit Saturday and 12 miles on the bike trail! 12 miles! Ahhh! Of course, after a triathlon I can do anything! ;D


  1. So awesome! What a great recap! I wish I could have been there and I'm so proud of you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new! We should totally train together for the series next year!!

  2. Awesome, Ms. Triathlete!

    I love the part where you wrote, "He told me that I was 1 minute from finishing in my goal time of 1:30! Once I heard him say that I took off!"

    Good job!

  3. hey!! you have a wonderful blog. thanks for sharing your weight lost progress here. keep it up and never give up. you can do it.